by Robert Wilkinson
I love the material by Helena Roerich, author of the Agni Yoga series and wife of the venerable Nicholas Roerich, the first artist ever nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts at global disarmament between world wars 1 and 2. Among his achievements were many books and thousands of paintings, at least two thousand of Tibet done when he made his pioneering expeditions into central Asia, one of the first Europeans to do so.
This post is not intended as a discourse on Nicholas Roerich,a miracle man if ever there was one. I'll give you that in the future. The following is a little piece from the work "Brotherhood" by Helena Roerich, a noted painter in her own right and scribe of some of the most amazing material ever generated. It cuts a pretty large wake, but it's all very good, true, and relevant. So here's a treat from the extremely First Ray teachings of Helena R. and M.
145. People know more than they think they do. They hear about life on distant worlds. They know about energies and currents. They are in contact with many manifestations of nature. The question is merely as to how well they absorb all this information. During an accelerated accumulation of discoveries, it is especially needful to purify the consciousness. The moral foundations become, or rather should become, an attribute of knowledge; otherwise, the gulf between knowledge and morals widens dangerously.
146. Many sowings will sprout in a year's time. The essence of Armageddon lies not only in the exhaustion of old causes but also in the establishment of new ones. It is correct to call to mind what was indicated ten years ago. The causes have begun to give rise to effects. Perhaps someone did rashly utter some decisive word, and over a period of ten years it has resulted in either flame or water. Thus does thought work.
147. It is impossible to exclude from the rainbow even one single tint. Likewise, it is impossible to take away one single link from the Teaching of Life. The rainbow manifests a full spectrum, and the complete Teaching of Life likewise equips for the journey on all paths. The traveler is equally concerned about cloak and headdress and footwear. No one will say that he prefers hats to shoes or vise versa. Therefore, when someone prefers one portion of the Teaching, he is acting like a traveler who has forgotten his shoes.
It may be that certain objects appear to be unnecessary at some given hour, whereas tomorrow precisely these may make the journey easier. There are to be found people to whom the simplest word proves to be the best key. It is impossible to visualize the great diversity of human consciousnesses. It were better that those who know be bored for a while than that someone be forever repulsed. New approaches to perfectment are unexpected, and new co-workers are not easily recognized.
148. People are vainly seeking new remedies and medicaments without making use of the old ones. Even milk and honey are not sufficiently in use. Whereas, what can be more beneficial than vegetable products reworked through a succeeding evolution? Milk and honey are to be had in infinite variety, and they constitute the best prophylaxis when employed rationally and scientifically. The point is not simply to drink milk and eat honey; first of all, one must consider what kind of milk and what kind of honey. It is right to assume that the best honey will be from places that are replete with curative herbs. it may be understood that bees bring together not mere chance combinations of their extractions. Nature lore about bees has importance in the way of directing attention to the particular quality of the honey.
Moreover, many vegetable products require investigation. People regard things so primitively that they are content with the expressions "good and bad," "fresh and spoiled;" besides, they are elated by the large size of a product, forgetting that artificial enlargement diminishes the qualitative value. Even such primitive consideratons are lost sight of. In the development of vitality, its essence ought to be derived from all the kingdoms of nature.
149. Continuity is one of the basic qualities of the subtlest energies. People can take example from the higher worlds for earthly existence also. If it is difficult to maintain continuity in work, it can be fully realized in spritiual strivings. We, wayfarers of Earth, can form a link with the higher worlds in spirit; such a bond will permit us to dwell in close union with the invisible worlds. Such unity will teach also earthly unity. Beginning with the higher, let us also be affirmed in the lower. It is not easy to maintain earthly unity. Many petty circumstances intrude and blot out good intentions. Only the testing of forces in a higher application can create continuity of intercourse with the Higher World. Even in sleep it is possible to manitain the bond with the source of knowledge....
150. People do not know how to find that which is most beautiful. They forget the best moments of enlightenment. But these hours are given to all, notwithstanding different conditions. A moment of enlightenment flashes out like a diamond. It is extremely brief, yet this brevity embraces a contact with the Supermundane World. Such touches are unforgettable! They are as torches on Earth and surpass the reason. One should preserve the supermundane sparks with solicitude.
(Originally posted 15 May, 2005)